Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Christian Savage and Christian Savagery

I've read Moby Dick once before in my high school freshman English class. I remember that it was long, and that I didn't dislike it as much as my other classmates. I have to say this time around, I'm actually enjoying it. I really like Ishmael's character. I admire his observations about life, humanity in general, and his descriptions of the specific people he meets, like Queequeg. Ishmael's comparison of the savage's virtues to that of other Christians is particularly interesting.

In describing Queequeg, Ishmael says, "There he sat, his very indifference speaking a nature in which there lurked no civilized hypocrisies and bland deceits. . . . I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy" (Ch. 10, p. 53). Later Ishmael describes a scene on the boat heading to Nantucket where some white sailors mock Queequeg, and Queequeg ends up saving one of their lives. Though he is a savage, Queequeg seems to have mastered "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" (Matthew 5:44 KJV).

These parts of Moby Dick make me question my own culture and what "civilized hypocrisies" I participate in every day. One of the most basic examples is our culture's greeting, "Hi, how are you?" Do we really care how other people are doing? It's practically obligatory to say "good" or "fine" in response to such a question. Our societal norms don't leave much room for emotional honesty in such circumstances. Our greetings are mostly a "hollow courtesy." And do we not rejoice in our culture when misfortune befalls our enemies? Sometimes we call it "karma," "they had it coming," or "that sucks for them."

I'm not suggesting that every time we ask someone how they are that we don't care. There are plenty of times when small talk is meaningful among friends and family. Our culture also recognizes the importance of forgiveness and being kind to others. But in general, I feel there are many "civilized hypocrisies" in our somewhat scripted interactions with others. The above of which are just some examples. What do you all think? Is there more sincerity and Christian charity to be found in those described as "savages"?

5 comments:

  1. In Russia and Ukraine, "How are you?" is an invitation to pretty much tell your life story and explain everything that's going on in your life. Because it's so 'real' of a question there, it's not really acceptable to ask strangers, and they think it really weird that Americans are so free and careless with a question that involves such personal and meaningful parts of a person's life and everyday experiences. I remember getting home from my mission in Ukraine and thinking that Americans were the most insincere people I had ever met, because they would say "How are you?" and then walk away without even waiting to hear an answer. I think you sometimes have to have that exposure to different cultures to really come to realize the strangeness of one's own customs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like how Queequeg gives examples from both sides of a time when someone did something "uncivilized" based on the culture in which they were the minority at the time. It really depends on who gets to define what little delicacies make up civilization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me think of our recent general conference where several of our general authorities commented and praised Africans for being happy and cheerful despite tribal wars or living conditions. In America where we are "civilized" and "privileged" because of our freedoms and urbanization, Americans tend to think that there's no way anyone without a steady income and big home are happy or civilized. I find more charity and Christian kindness with those with humble conditions than those in higher class, education, and wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really interesting about Russia and the Ukraine Greg. I haven't been to a culture like that, but I still get annoyed when people just walk away after they ask me how I'm doing.

    I know what you mean Kayla; being "civilized" is really a matter of perspective. I think being in a position where you are the minority and where you don't know all of the customs of a people makes you reflect on your own culture's traditions and norms.

    I am always amazed at how happy people can be living in what I would consider poverty. I was in Peru a few years ago, and I saw villages of shacks build in the sand around the poor parts of the country. But there were still children playing and life going on in those parts. I'm also amazed at stories where those in poor circumstances are so generous and giving. I agree that wealth, class, and education can be corrosive to Christian charity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a comment I wrote a week ago, but my browser wouldn't let me post it. Here goes take 2.

    When we find these indictments in literature of how our culture lives Christianity, it makes me cringe a bit but I also think they're a useful reminder to us, that we should step a little outside our norms. There's a norm of middle-class living that is so self-absorbed which I have trouble leaving.

    I love that Russia and the Ukraine takes "how are you?" literally. I didn't realize the nothingness of how we sometimes use that phrase until my mission, when I really wanted to know about people were doing.

    ReplyDelete