Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Catching Our Moby Dicks of the Internet

I really appreciated this post because it briefly puts together the things we've discussed in class and on our blog posts. And considering what we've read recently about the long tail in digital culture, I'd like address the ideas of isolation and collaboration with the long tail concept (allowing products that may be overlooked in favor of "the hits" and mainstream materials to become marketable).

We have mentioned a bit how modern technology can make the world a bigger or smaller place. Indulge with me on a terribly written extended metaphor: In Moby Dick we have a group of sailors from different backgrounds (Harvard educated, sailing educated, not at all), different religions (Christian, tribal Pagan), different ethnicity (South Sea Islander, African tribal) all thrown together in one ship Pequod. So we have everyone from all over the world tossed into the surf of the internet. It brings us all together with emails, blog posts, recipe exchanges (Dough-Boy cup of Aunt Charity's ginger-water anyone?), news, etc. We all collaborate together to catch our own personal Moby Dicks of the internet: on a quest for that one whale song you've never heard before unlike any other whale song? want to tackle the impossible project using google docs harpoons and JSTOR?

Maybe I'm just being silly, but we've been told Moby Dick is technology, not just a part of it. So I will continue my metaphor to explain that with collaboration and making the world a smaller place, there is still isolation created from the wonderful space of digital life.

While we're out surfing the internet, on the Pequod in the middle of the ocean, we are cut off from the homeland. I can easily sit in a room with a group of my friends, not talk to each other, and all be on our laptops talking to other people. We are isolated from one another and we're physically in the same room! The ones in the ship, on the internet, we all have one thing in common: a song, an interest, a political group, crowdsourcing to get money to fund a project. The people we leave at home though are where we are known. Ishmael joins this crew of essentially strangers. They don't even know their own captain until chapter 28, don't mention the goal to get Moby Dick until chapter 41. Where is Ishmael's family? How did Queequeg and Tashtego and Daggoo end up on this crew? Are these guys creating avatars for themselves while on this ship? How much does the reader actually know about these crazy crew mates?

As powerful and adventurous the web is, we should also make sure we don't lose ourselves to the high seas and excitement. I'm not saying a good sailing trip isn't healthy. However, where Ishmael has "nothing particular to interest [him] on shore," (pg 1) we do. I'm guilty of spending too much time in front of a screen to find out who I am and what I like, rather than going out into the world and exploring myself. I don't need to sail for hours on the ocean of the web "whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul" (pg 1). There are people to talk to, things to see, and homework to do...though the homework bit might not make my drizzly November soul any more summertime June.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's important to stay literate in both digital and non-digital media. It reminds me of when LDS missionaries get back from foreign missions. Some of them have lost a lot of English skills (though they gain them back fairly quickly). We need to be living in multiple places at once, however, and we can't lose our face-to-face literacy just because we've gained a new literacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely. And look at the technological advancements that any missionary comes back to and have to catch up on. There is a different spirit outside of technology and the digital world. I think it's combining now with missionaries using email and blogs to update the world on their work, which is brilliant and inspired. But there is a balance between what we do online and what we do outside of it too.

      Delete
  2. I like the metaphor you use. I think it's interesting how the internet can isolate us from people and bring us closer together with them at the same time. The internet can isolate us from physical interaction with others, but our physical location can isolate us from interactions with others online (if we decide not to use the internet). It's a balance like you and Kayla have stated.

    I like how you mention you surfing the web to find out who you are, like the way Ishmael sets out to sea to find out who he is. That's another sort of paradox. Sometimes we have to look outside of ourselves to find out who we are on the inside.

    ReplyDelete