Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Blogging: I took the one less sailed by

view-image.php.jpg

Exploration and self-discovery go hand in hand. In order to really explore, we need an uncharted territory, a place we've never been. Digital culture has been an uncharted territory for me. For example, I hadn't really blogged before I started taking this class. Now I am exploring the world of blogging, which has taught me some things about myself and led to more self-discovery than I thought.

Blogging has reaffirmed to me the importance of writing my thoughts down on paper or rather typing my thoughts on my laptop and sharing them with the online community. There is value in being able to express myself through writing. The creative process that is writing allows me to develop insights and connections I might have missed if they were stored away in the sometimes chaotic space that is my mind. Because I have to reflect in order to write, I think deeper and consider more. 

I also think the comments feature of blogging is so valuable. Journals are great. Like I said, writing thoughts down on paper leads to discovery, but sharing them with others enriches the exploration so much more. If I had simply written these blog posts and not shared them, it would be the equivalent of writing in a journal. But because I've received thoughtful feedback and because I've read the "journals" of others, I have expanded my horizons and traveled to previously unknown regions.  

Lastly, blogging has made me reflect on how I present myself and in turn made me reflect on who I am. Figuring out who I am will be a lifelong journey I'm sure, but exploring my identity in new ways, exploring my thoughts, feelings, and opinions on a work of literature that portrays life so well helps me understand what storms I've braved, what seas I'm crossing, and what sites I want to see. 

I really like the comparison between the theme of adventure in Moby Dick and exploring digital culture. Though Ishmael goes on a physical journey into the vast watery unknown, he goes on several metaphorical voyages that impact him just as much as the harrowing chase after Moby Dick. At times his tangents seem rudderless, but like Dr. Burton said, faith is needed for exploring, and we all put our faith in Ishmael as a narrator as he describes the events of his journey and the peculiarities of human nature. Meanwhile Ishmael puts his faith in his unexplainable drive for adventure. I think we've all chased a white whale, and we hope our pursuit will satisfy our yearnings for discovery, adventure, and meaning in life we couldn't capture while in a safe harbor.          



1 comment:

  1. Your last paragraph about Moby Dick reminds me of how it feels to blog sometimes. It all seems a little disconnected while everyone explores areas that come to mind, but eventually it can be collected into themes, like Dr. Burton did in his recent post.

    ReplyDelete