Saturday, September 7, 2013

DigHT What?

If my memory/notes tell me right, this second blog post of ours can be on DigHT and/or Moby Dick.

Technically speaking, I have no minor, even though I’ve been telling people I’m minoring in Computing in the Humanities (CHum) or in Digital Humanities (DigHT) since 2010. (Yeah, making a graduation plan is on the docket this semester. That way I can actually declare a minor.) When I tell someone my planned minor, they typically follow up a comment such as, “That’s great!” with a question that makes me squirm: “What is that?”

I always struggle to explain, since I don’t have a clear concept of what digital humanities is, precisely. Lately I’ve just told them what classes I’m taking. Our discussion in class last Wednesday was lovely, but I don’t quite have a concise explanation as yet. I look forward to grasping the concept of the topic more firmly!

Let me try to formulate my conception of it at this time: "Digital Humanities" encompasses learning certain web skills, like basic code literacy, and learning how to reach people and reading people and our changing culture online. It tries to analyze and work with the culture and opportunities online.

As for Moby Dick – I haven't begun the reading JUST yet. Although I've heard negative reviews of this book from friends, my first (?) and strongest exposure to this book was through the film adaptation of Matilda. Here are the relevant clips, in chronological order.

"It's not trash, Daddy; it's lovely. It's called Moby Dick by Herman Melville."

The second clip culminates the denouement of Matilda; we find her in a much happier home with her kind teacher as her guardian, beginning to read the book at bedtime. Embedding is disabled, but you may watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir0HU1nNcEI.

Was this film anyone else’s first exposure to Moby Dick? Other DigHT minors, how have you explained what it is?

3 comments:

  1. Matilda was actually my first exposure to Moby Dick as well. When I started the reading, I actually read the first line in Matilda's voice at the end of the movie. Took me back to old times, hahaha. I am actually really liking the book, so hopefully you'll be able to tell your friends why it's really good! It's weird, the book is dense, but it's also really interesting. I love Queequeg. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first exposure to Moby Dick was actually in the X-Files television show. One of the main characters always called her father Captain Ahab and she in turn was Starbuck, her dog Queequeg. It's interesting to see how literature fits right into entertainment all the time. (a link to an awful quality clip of the Moby Dick reference in X-Files: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qUfBP1D1E)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think of Matilda when I think of Moby Dick! When I was younger, I put Moby Dick on my mental list of books to read before I die specifically because Matilda makes it look so appealing. It's kind of fun to actually be reading it now.

    ReplyDelete