Sunday, September 8, 2013

My Intro

Eliza, great minds think alike because I was totally going to introduce myself saying, "Call me Mary."

My name is Mary. I'm going to learn a lot in this class because social media and technology in general are not the most compelling forces in my life. I have a Facebook account that I've updated my status on probably two or three times since I created it. I have an iPod that I lost for two years, found it again, and  still haven't listened to a song on it since I found it. This behavior is rare for someone of my generation. I guess I am just so hipster that the greatest music to me is the melody of my own thoughts. That last sentence should give you all an indication of what to expect from me this semester: awe-inspiring and deeply profound insights. I also have a bit of a dry sense of humor at times.

But for real, I will tell you more about myself now. I am from Southeastern Wisconsin. My sister and I have colorful Wisconsin/Minnesota alter egos named Marge and Patty. When I say alter egos, I mean we put on a very thick accent and update each other on the busy happenings of our rural lives. It's weird I know, but I love different dialects and sociolinguistics in general. I'm an English language major and a writing and rhetoric minor. I'm toying with the idea of going to grad school in Linguistics here at BYU. I'm also a technical writer at the OIT building on campus. If you have any questions on the new XPR 6580 radios, I'm your woman. Well, at least I can direct you to an online product page I wrote that will give you more details.

I look forward to getting to know you all this semester!


1 comment:

  1. A warm welcome to you, Mary. Do you think that alter egos outside of digital culture relate to all the avatars or other kinds of alternate identities so evident online?

    ReplyDelete