Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Discovering on the Shoulders of Giants, e.g. with Pinterest


Professor Burton's blog post made me think about how I already use the internet to wonder, explore, and discover. While stuff on sites like Tumblr and Facebook are entertaining and occasionally make me wonder at people’s genius or lack thereof, Pinterest is someplace I discover things.
 
 
The above could apply to books on the treadmill as well. For more: see here and here.
 
When I see a great, simple craft or a clever hack on there, I feel the same feeling I got when I first saw the space balloon video. Although I’ve only made one recipe inspired directly by I’ve seen on there (root beer cookies!), the principles I see in place inspire me to think a little more when I make food. And this last summer, actually, I purchased a book (what? A physical book?!) about electronics hacks.

With discovering and exploring using the web, we still stand on the shoulders of giants. And the web helps us find the best places to stand. What’s the best idea you’ve discovered, or implemented, from Pinterest or another hacking site (e.g. lifehacker.com)?

1 comment:

  1. I have found so many life hack things on the internet it's ridiculous. But I think one of the most important websites I've found is whatshouldireadnext.com. You type in a book and it will give you options for what to read next. It's using technology to help you read!

    ReplyDelete