Sunday, October 6, 2013

Where Do We Belong (Midterm Reflection Post)

So to examine what I have so far, here's the index of my posts as of right now:

I think a lot of my posts relate to the people behind the post. This theme is especially pointed out in "Which Character are You?," "Avatars of Moby Dick," and the second paragraph of "Catching Our Moby Dicks of the Internet." I've even mentioned in plenty of comments on other people's blogs and in Google+ updates how people use the internet and crowdsourcing in ways to promote their work. I commented in this post asking how scholarly blogs will find a place in the internet, a Google+ update talking about how this video found its success on the internet, commented here how the LDS Church has found ways to utilize the internet, two more comments here and here thinking of everyday people behind academic posts giving credible information, and so on.

Needless to say, I'm a bit more focused on what the person behind the screen has to say, and how to effectively get out there through the proper avenues online. We talked in September about Kompoz, Galaxy Zoo, mormon.org, Wattpad and dozens more websites available for crowdsourcing, for getting out there. But with so many options, it's difficult to decide which avenue would be right for you, and how to be recognized as a credible blogger, or musician, or cinematographer. In addition to that, what characteristics and goals will put one person into the Youtube vortex and another in the Vine world for example? Blogger vs reviewer? Ultimately I suppose I'm asking this: where do people entering the digital world belong in the digital world?







3 comments:

  1. I am particularly interested in exploring crowdsourcing, so this post is pertinent to what I want to investigate. I think it's interesting to think about individuals behind digital culture. Without original thought and creativity done by creative humans, there would not be much of the culture part of digital culture. This research will lead to some really cool conclusions, so good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something else this made me think about: are we keeping people's individuality when we mush everyone together into a crowd? Are there a bunch of individuals working together as a group, or have we homogenized everyone so that we can get a certain outcome?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla, your questions echo the schooling/Common Core/standardized testing debate so much...but I won't get into it! (I like seeing connections.) I think that crowdsourcing can do both. For example, the only human part of you that CAPTCHA cares about is your ability to recognize letters better than robots. (Incidentally, CAPTCHA stands for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart.") There is one right answer and there isn't really room for interpretation. However, programming and note-taking (as in those General Conference crowdsourced notes) encourage individuality and creativity in the people they crowdsource. There are many ways to program something, and many parts of a talk you can grab notes from.

    ReplyDelete