Monday, October 21, 2013

YouTube Curation

So I'm looking further into YouTube curation. What I've realized more and more in my research is that this isn't just about putting up videos and getting a lot of hits. It's about advertising yourself, your product, your talents, your history, your world. People use YouTube academically, for entertainment, for literal advertisements, for business, for anything and everything. There's so much more to it than just making videos.

First, here's a link to why the advertisements on YouTube (that most viewers find annoying) actually turn out to be successful for those advertising companies. It's a playlist called YouTube Case Studies.

There's even a page on YouTube telling potential advertisers Why It Works. YouTube only charges when people watch your ad. It provides a targeted audience for companies looking to advertise. It's not just ads on television where someone can change the screen, but it provides videos across the internet which means people with access to computers, phones, tablets, etc can see the ad. There are analytic tools that give stats on who's viewing a company's ad and these companies can build a following by making their own channel.

Of course YouTube also has their Partnership Program to help their creators. And of course here's the list of the top 100 most subscribed channels where every day people are making it on the internet (just ignore the music channels like Rihanna and One Direction). To check out success stories just type in Draw My Life and there will be plenty of youtubers who talk about how they ended up making videos and how this channel changed their life. This video is long, but it incorporates a lot of how collaboration, crowdsourcing, and just using the things available to you will get you to where you want to be:

(sWooZie's Draw My Life video)

Of course there is the academic side of YouTube that I'd like to explore too. Having plays up to watch in parts (which I do for my Shakespeare class), watching PBS or Discovery, or even uploading AP Literature projects or class projects is a fun way to get information out there. In class we discussed how sometimes we search online how to do things for a visual on what to do. So I suppose one of the questions I'll have to look into more is what makes the source qualified or authoritative?

I'm still working on getting more information and everything, but. I'm really excited to explore this more.

3 comments:

  1. This is valuable information about YouTube, but will you please take a closer look at YouTube playlists and how people have used those to curate content -- especially about serious or academic subjects (not just curating pop culture)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look right into that and make another post about it. Thanks! I realized after posting this (and especially after class on Monday) that I really didn't look at curation at all. At least not in the way I should have focused.

      Delete
  2. I'm also interested to know how youtube is used academically. I like watching Ted talks on youtube, and I suppose people doing research can post their own kind of Ted talk-like videos that are informative.

    ReplyDelete