Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My Spiral of Research Paper Garbage

Oh Kristen, I feel ya. I'm in my last semester as an English undergrad, so I too have been reflecting on my entire experience. And I've realized something. I mentally counted the papers I've written that I personally loved or am still truly proud of. Want to see the number?


. . . . . . . . . .

ONE. That's right. What made this paper any different, I wonder? I can tell you some things it was not:
  1. The topic
  2. The format
  3. The length
I can only assume it was these things:
  1. Personal investment
  2. Time
Like Kristen said, we English majors start to figure out the system after a while. If we really want to, we can write a "research" paper with a lot less effort than should really be involved. And in the end, we leave college and abandon the papers, because we didn't get the process.

That's what Dr. Burton talks about in his posts on the phases of academic blogging and in chapter 2 of this ebook. The process can be as important as the final result. We inject ourselves into our blog posts, and we share everything about our research along the way: good or bad. In the end, it's the investment of time that really matters--time to spiral your ideas around until you get to another, better iteration; time to get invested; time for feedback. 

And that's what my one and only real paper had. I spent countless hours researching before I touched the actual words of the paper. I got multiple rounds of feedback from multiple people. So it isn't impossible to get some of these social connections without blogging, but I can see how blogging and social media encourage the implementation of these ideas. Why not give students the tools they need to succeed? (If I'm going to sound a little corny there.)

So I guess the next step moving forward is for me to spiral my ideas around and take advantage of the tools I've been given to create something better.

5 comments:

  1. You have a really great point, Kayla. It really does make the difference when you make the research process more efficient by getting feedback. Also, I think it really does make a difference to have a topic that you're interested in. Personally, I know my interest has fueled motivation to read a bunch of criticism and has gotten me through rough patches of research. I think that finding something you care about and becoming focused within the realm of your interests is what the digital age is all about. The digital spiral definitely can be a powerful tool to fulfill assignments but I think that the spiral gets really beneficial when you get people who really care about things beyond the world of college to voluntarily contribute because usually passionate people are pretty successful! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time and personal investment are the two things that make the difference for me as well. I really liked the points in your post. I agree with Brittany in that making an influence on the academic world means entering the spiral and introducing people to new topics and new ideas. These ideas grow with collaboration. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your point about the process being as important as the end result. I've heard that before in some good writing classes. I think when I put more energy and thought into the writing process, it is more enjoyable and produces better work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the type of information I’ve long been trying to find. Thank you for writing this information. paper writing service

    ReplyDelete
  5. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! writing paper service

    ReplyDelete