Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Video Book Review of We the Media

There's a lot going on in this book, so I decided the best way to review it would be by giving a one-sentence summary of each chapter. They may not have been the main ideas the author wanted me to get from the book, but here is my interpretation:


Things I wish I could do better technologically:
  1. Get a better thumbnail so my face isn't frozen like that in the beginning.
  2. Edit video down so I could cut off the extra couple dozen seconds. 
It's amazing how quickly the time goes. I mean, I thought with one sentence per chapter I'd be doing just fine. Too many chapters I guess. Here are my twelve sentences, more or less as I said them:
  1. There have been a lot of media revolutions throughout history, though we Americans have focused on the one starting at September 11.
  2. The read/write web has made it so we can be more than consumers--the news it what we make of it.
  3. With the removal of many gatekeepers, more of the public can promote stories that might otherwise have been ignored.
  4. Though it makes journalists and people in general uncomfortable, being completely open and honest will lead to the best results.
  5. Average people get to be heard in a more bottom-up approach to politics.
  6. Media professionals can collaborate with amateurs to produce better work than either could do alone.
  7. The former audiences of the news are becoming news sources themselves.
  8. With vastly more raw data comes a need for more tools, and people, to make sense of it.
  9. Not everything about new media is positive--we have misquotations, misunderstandings, lies, and trolls.
  10. The Internet gives freedom, but it isn't outside the law--there are legal issues citizen journalists need to keep in mind.
  11. We have to fight to keep our freedom on the Internet as forces like the government and mega-corporations try to clamp down.
  12. This global feedback system in the news has implications for journalists, newsmakers, and the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment