Monday, November 18, 2013

The Altruistic Scholar

So I read about what Heidi was researching with Diigo. You can find her post and my comments here. She's exploring gamification and more specifically gamification in the workplace. I think this idea is really relevant. Games are a large part of U.S. culture, and as we've discussed in class many times, they're not just for teenage boys anymore. Games can be used as teaching tools and can offer motivation and incentive. Heidi found some good sources that predict more companies will be gamifying elements of their workplaces to engage employees.

I searched on the library website to find some scholarly references for her. I found an article where researchers made a game for a university course to see if it affected students' performance. They found some positive impacts: better overall score and better scores in practical assignments. This isn't directly related to gamification in the workplace, but maybe Heidi will find it useful. It looks like there are some other helpful articles in the same journal.

I also searched online to find more about gamification in the workplace. I found an article from InformationWeek about Blue Shield trying out a gaming app for health and wellness in their workplace. They think it has been beneficial to their employees.

It was kind of fun being an altruistic scholar. It was easy to do research and find something helpful, and I enjoyed learning about a topic that I'm interested in but not exploring in depth. Hopefully I will get some good feedback on my post as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment