Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Working Outline: Guide to Citizen Journalism

I was hesitant to put up an outline yesterday because I felt like it needed to have more of a first-complete-draft feel, but my fellow classmates have inspired me to put up my progress.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mXvQPuK3N8XMAFUQqdbwHXvI74QWuVI0PBpd2hnLyxI/edit

Here, I've shared a Google doc where I'm starting to flesh out my outline. You can see it grow there (and there is already more there than there is here), but the basic categories are:

  1. A Brief Introduction to Citizen Journalism. This will have a little history as well as introduce some of the sticking points of the genre.
  2. Getting Started. This will include the qualities of good citizen journalism and the types of media best suited to the genre. 
  3. Media Ethics and Concerns. This somewhat self-explanatory section will talk about the various ethical concerns with journalism outside the strictly professional sphere.
  4. Outlets for Your Content. This will give options for places specifically dedicated to publishing citizen journalism, but it will also talk about working in tandem with media professionals.
  5. Guide to Further Reading. This will include more resources for my readers.
  6. Bibliography. For my sources.
Things I'm clearly leaving out: Actually creating the content. This guide will steer away from trying to teach people how to write articles or take videos, or even tell them the best place to find stories. The focus is more on what content is useful and how to do something with it.

Things I'm definitely including: Points 2 through 4 above will most definitely include examples from actual citizen journalism and current events. I'll try not to date myself too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment